Monday, July 11, 2005

The misadventures of the unemployed

Melanie and I are currently not working. That doesn't mean that we haven't been trying to though. I doing the part time thing with the family business and we've both been going on interviews. A good friend of Mel's told her about a "job fair" that Bank of America was holding at its downtown office. We thought it would be a walk around kinda thing where we could just leave our resumes with different people. It turned out to be a very long, much more involved process.

Let's start at the very begining. The whole thing starts at 1 pm. Mel and I don't head out until about 3 from the valley. We didn't even want to go anymore because it was seriously hot and it sucks to be in work clothes in the heat. When we get to the parking lot next to building, we see it's on top of a mad hill. The decision to go around the less steep way led us to encounter RATS. That's right, gross, disease-ridden, rodents. Mel saw them first and I walked (jogged/ran) away promptly.

When we got to the actual interview site, I wanted to leave immediately. I saw the amount of people there, most of them looking bored as hell, and wanted to jet. The twenty minutes that Mel and I actually stayed were made of Melanie telling some boy on the phone that he was dumb and us asking people how long they had been there. As we were leaving we could help but start cracking up. We were ridiculous. We signed in, sat down, and left. But we still needed parking validation. We found it on another floor, the Teach for America floor. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any info about TFA, because the receptionist was too busy talking on the phone. That bitch, she looked at me like I was crazy.

Going back to the car was another event in itself. Instead of going around the long way, we decided to take on this steep ass hill of death. Melaine was a little hesitant. She was in high, high heels. Her spoken thought was, "No, girl. I'm about to roll backwards like a car girl." It wasn't until we heard rustling in the bushes next to us that we both squealed and made it up that hill in less than 3 seconds. Yeah none of this would happen if we had jobs.

No comments: