Friday, July 01, 2005

Are the conservatives gonna take over?

Ok so I don't usually go off about politics and such. But since I have very little of a life, I've started to watch the news a bunch. I've been hearing about the possible resignation of Chief Justice William Rehnquist as well as that of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. If you don't know who O'Connor is, you ought to. She's been the important swing vote on the Supreme Court since her appointment about 25 years ago. She's voted for affirmative action and a woman's right to have an abortion. Ok anyone who is against these things don't get all offended, but I do support them both. And she's a bit conservative to, she's the one who ended the 2000 Florida recount. So she's a little bit of Column A and a little bit of Column B, which is cool.

Well just this morning O'Connor announced her resignation. This is why this is scary to me. The way our justice system works, the President gets to nominate her successor. So, Bushy boy may and probably will ask another CONSERVATIVE MAN to take her place. This is scary because the Supreme Court has the power to overturn its pervious rulings if a case is brought before it that challenges its precedence. This is like when segregation was ended in schools by Brown v. Board of Education. Well if some punk ass man brings up the question of abortion again, the Jusitices can vote again to decide its legality in this county.

Now, and this is what I remember of high school history and government classes so it may be very incorrect (this goes for a lot of this bolg) the Court has left it up to the each individual state to decide if it is legal in that specific state. If the decision (Roe v. Wade) gets overturned, well then the reproductive rights of females living in this country get taken away. And that would be some shit.

I don't plan to have an abortion any time soon, but that's not the point. What kind of message are you sending women when you tell them they can decide what's going on with their own bodies? And why the hell does a government that doesn't have proper sex education in all its schools expect that abortion will stop by making it illegal? I'm not gonna say I'm moving to Europe or any crap like that, I think I'm actually going to write my Congressman. You ought to too. His name is Henry Waxman (I just looked him up).

No comments: