Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Going to Venice with Melanie again

So today Melanie and I had another excursion. She and I are still jobless, hence the reason why we are spending so much time together this summer. We've got shit to do, so we might as well do it together. Well today we decided to hit up the beach. Melanie's car is out of commission at the moment due to a faulty window that threatens the security of her ride, because it won't roll up. I picked her up and we proceeded to battle traffic down both the 405 and the 10. Once at la playa (Venice), parking took a good eternity to find which left us with a rather short period of time to actually spend in the sun. After about an hour of sleep on the beach, like the hobos we are, Mel and I went in search of food.

Ah yes, the ongoing endeavour to feed ourselves. Melanie and I have been known to be in the past bottomless pits, or at least 3 mile deep holes that we continuously throw food into. Our hungry asses couldn't decide on anywhere specific to eat, so we just headed back to Mel's house and searched on the way. And to my delighted surprise Melanie suddenly says, "How about Island's? I haven't had that in a while." A second and a very wide left turn from the lane over to the right from the actual left turning lane later, I replied, "Ooh yea. That sounds really good." I admit when I'm hungry, the rules of the road are nothing but trivial suggestions.

Once inside and seated, we went over the menu. Choosing an appetizer between us was a tricky task simply because we both wanted everything there, plus an entree each, and some ice cream for dessert. Ice cream was actually one of the main reasons for going to Venice in the first place. We settled on some cheese frys and a couple of burgers. We also ordered a lemonade to share between us. Melanie, with her ever cunning mind, made the observation that the drink had a red straw in it and remarked, "So THAT'S how they know which drinks are special. I'm just gonna carry a red straw and order water from now on." We surprised the servers by actually "resting" instead of just packing up our meals to go. We wanted to finish our food dammit. But we had to admit defeat eventually if we wanted room for ice cream.

Finding ice cream was another adventure. We decided on Coldstone since I had never been there before. There was one on the same street as the Island's but I had turned in the other direction so we decided to go to one that was on Sepulveda. After getting us severly turned around though (meaning to say lost) I had Mel mapquest the directions on her brand spanking new sidekick. We saw that the new Coldstone was still 6 miles away and decided to go back down to the one that was on the same street as the Island's. And what do we discover? The damn Coldstone was about two blocks in the other direction. We could have walked to the ice cream (if we wanted).

I ended up getting the biggest ice cream I had ever eaten in my life and Mel got one that she couldn't finish. It was sort of sad (but only a little) because these old geezers kept going by who were just really really fit. We also saw a couple of crazy obnoxious ladies go by. One of them had this small dog that she thought was the shit. She got all freaked out and over protective when a bigger dog walked by. Her excuse was, "I just got him. I don't want anything to happen to him." Whatever bitch, I hope it gets eaten by a coyote. This other two cent hussy was in Coldstone when she suddenly exits the shop goes up to a woman with a baby and randomly starts cackling in her face. Everone outside of the shop shared a look that read "Crazy Bitch." By the time we were all done, Mal and I felt (and at the moment still feel) like hurling and have very bad gas.

Quote of the day: "Who would guess that I was carrying a red straw in my purse?" said in all seriousness with a raised eyebrow and a sideways squinty stare.

No comments: