You can learn a lot about people from their non-verbal cues, much more from what they tell you in a conversation. Take for instance the way they walk down a sidewalk. It's unfortunate in LA that we don't really walk. You can still learn things about a person from the way they drive, but it's usually that they want to cut you off and kill you because they have to be somewhere about 10 minutes ago.
This morning I was walking down a sidewalk to my car and noticed across the street there was a man who was singing and whistling along walking to his car. All I could think was, "Now that's a confident man who's starting his day off right." He looked straight ahead as he walked and had a springy, but solid gait. Just good vibes coming off of him, I felt them from across the way.
Taking the time to do some mini-introspection I imagined what I looked like walking down the sidewalk. I've been told that I used to walk like a little boy (I think my cousin meant unfeminine) and that I look down when I walk. Usually, I was just trying to avoid all the cracks and irregularities to keep myself from stumbling and falling. Since this commentary on my walking, I've tried keep better posture, look up, and have confidence in my step that I won't suddenly fall. It's the times that I'm feeling the best about myself and my life that I'm able to walk like this without a conscious effort. Apparently, I even look taller too. But, again this morning, I found that I'd reverted to my old way of walking. Eyes to the ground, minding the bumps and dips, and, despite the cute work out clothes, not strutting it out like a fantastic diva.
I felt very self-conscious this morning and it showed in the way I moved down the sidewalk. I was probably looking very small and not sexy. Whereas Mr. Whistle just strode on down the opposite side of the street, confident enough to make some music and have others hear. I'm sure you've seen the way people walk when they're angry, their arms pumping like pistons to drive a large steam engine forward. Or when someone is completely bored out of their skulls, dragging along like a living dead zombie. When Luke is walking on his tippy toes to his car, happy as a pig in mud to be living in the middle of cute boy Westwood. We can see people in their gaits. Their emotions, out looks on life (someone who's constantly looking at the ground for that next stumbling block probably isn't the most optimistic person in the world), their health, etc. can all be read in their walks. That's all, just thought I'd share.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment