Monday, October 01, 2007

Dying Green

I saw a PSA for recycling the other day and it pissed me off. Two mobster type men dump a carpet wrapped body off a dock into some random body of water. Then one of the criminals takes a drink of water out of a plastic bottle and then goes to throw it over the dock after the corpse. The shot then widens up and you see on the edge of the dock that familiar blue bin meant for just this occasion. Vito sees it, stops himself, and tosses the water bottle into the recycling bin.

The tag line at the end of the commercial is "Redeem Yourself." Yes, State of California Public Service Announcement people, we all can redeem our murderous deeds by "living green." Stupid extremist environmentalists or just horrible commercial makers? Most of us don't want nature and all its majestic glory to be made ugly and smelly by pollution, but really isn't murder still a bit more of a crime? I think this is sending a mixed moral message to the citizens of California. Remembering to reduce, reuse, and recycle does not absolve you from ending sentient, human life. Only molesters, excuse me I mean Catholic priests, can do that. Bejeezus it just makes me want to litter.

p.s. Of course I won't though. I don't like my communities looking grossy. Yay for recycling and proper trash disposal.

No comments: