It seems like Southern California cannot function while I'm not in it. Ever since I left my home state, it's gone completely to hell, literally. Fire and brimstone for everyone and every-tree. All anyone is telling me back from home is that the sky looks like it's been set ablaze and that the sun has taken on an apocalyptic kinda look to it. Lizzy, who is glorious because she came up from Boston to spend the weekend in New York with me, tells me to keep an eye on the news just in case my flight home on Wednesday is changed. Apparently there's so much smoke from all the fires that it can be seen from outer space... and Boston.
Damn SoCal, don't you remember that only you can prevent forest fires? I can't always be around snubbing out stupid hipster kid cigarette butts or pepping up the firefighters. I won't always be there to hold all the pieces together for you. There's a good possibility that I'll be moving away next year. I mean I really love New York. Don't get me wrong SoCal, no one can ever take your place in my heart. You are my first, true home. But I gotta get out and see what else the world has to offer, and New York has a lot. It's not going to be forever, just for a little while. I have to find myself you know? Grow up a little on my own. So stop hurting yourself to make me stay. All this flash, bang, and burning yourself down isn't going to stop me from seeing what else is out there.
P.S.
Don't you love how every so often my posts get turned into awkward break up letters?
P.P.S. I met up with Kat today for lunch at 'Wichcraft. That's Tom Colicchio's (from Bravo' Top Chef) sandwich shop chain. I had an awesomely good turkey/avo concoction that I loved! The shop is cute and modern looking, filled with indie/emo/NYU undergrad types. Super much fun catching up with Katia. What is it about getting together with Immac girls that is just so silly and comforting and right? It has to be the fact that at our graduation the school dressed us all up in white gowns and married us in front of our friends and family at the Hollywood Bowl. That school messed us up something good. Anyways, throughout lunch I was constantly looking out for Chef Colicchio to walk in and ask me to rate the sandwich and weigh in on the overall performance of the sandwich makers today. (Man, I love Top Chef but I can't wait for Project Runway.)
After walking mi Pareja (old Spanish Partner) back to work, I went and met with NYU's Coordinator for the Higher Ed./Student Personnel Administration Program. I thought I might talk to an intern or some general admissions advisor, but no I got the Program Coordinator/Director. He was super nice and easy to talk to (probably because he didn't tell me that he directed the program up until the end of our chat). I'm getting more and more sold on the prospect of going to NYU. I mean I have to say while I'm almost completely sold on the city itself, the school was another topic all together. The campus is not a true college campus, NYU is an urban university. The buildings are sprinkled throughout the West Village and the city in general. This I have to say was a drawback for me. But hey I can always find my assistantship at one of the other colleges in the area. The program sounds really great. I like the fact that while it incorporates Student Affairs, it isn't completely focused on it. It stresses Higher Ed in general, which I'm so down with. One day I might want to transition out of Student Affairs and go more into university administration and it would be good to have some background.
After my time in the Washington Square area, I went down to the World Trade Center and then proceeded on to Century 21. I went shopping like a mad, mad woman. I'm going to find something free to do tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment