I promised myself last night that I wouldn't myspace, facebook, or blog until I finally got the first draft of my Statement done. As you can see I broke that promise like the promise breaker I am. I should have added messaging on AIM and Google talk to that list of things not to do, becaue Fran brought up last Saturday night.
So let me reset the scene. DJ Gus and Passed Out Guy have just left the Jack in the Box and I go over to join Fran, Jen, and Mikey at their table by the window. Walking over I see what looks like to be a giant and his helper gnome talking to my friends. Everyone is laughing, so let the good times roll.
As I sit down, Fran is cracking up and saying very loudly, "Where am I prum? Well my parents are prum Manila. I grew up in Jewel City, you know Glendale." She's addressing the 4 foot 6 man. Now I don't endorse making fun of people's accent. Actually, not completely true. I tease my parents all the time, but they're my parent. Besides this guy didn't have an accent, he just couldn't say the word 'from.' Kinda like how some people say 'melk' and 'pellow' instead of 'milk' and 'pillow.'
Shawty just wouldn't let up and he was nearly a foot shorter than Francine. It got real bad when he started to whisper sweet, broken-Tagalog nothings into Francine's ear. I don't know what he said because I never learned any of my parents' languages but I could tell it was bad from faces Fran and Jen were making. It turned out that the munchkin (I'm 5'0" and this guy was shorter than me) was originally from Carson, where, according to Fran, all our Filipino ancestors are from, and that's how he learned to speak 'Pilipino' so well.
I can't speak for everyone out there, but isn't it awkward as hell when someone uses your race/ethnicity as an opener to hit on you. I mean it's one thing to say, "Wow you have beautiful eyes" or "You're complexion/color/skin is amazing." I don't even really mind the "So what's you heritage/background" question. But to start off with, "I love a girl that looks like she just came from a tropical island" (yup he really said that to me Fran) or worse yet to just start speaking the language that you assume that person understands is just bad form. Truly uncomfortable, yet sometimes very entertaining.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment