So the past 3 weeks have been very up and down. School, work, and such have been trying. But an experience that I had tonight really makes me appreciate people, more specifically the good people. Everyone know who good people are: many are friends, family members are others, and those people you just happen to pass in your life who perform random acts of kindness. My friend Rajima was the first to say that she loves people who perform "random acts of kindness" and I agreed except that hadn't happened to me in a while.
But tonight after meetings, some running around the hill, and losing my Bruincard, room key, and fitness pass, a good person performed a random act of kindness para mi. So as I was running down to my car earlier, I dropped my little card holder that we all get during orientation. I didn't realize it until about 30 minutes later when I needed my Bruincard to get back into my building. I would have gone looking for my stuff right away, but I had Monday night staff meetings that I had to get to. I know it's silly but I was anxious about the whereabouts of my stuff and it did not help the fact that I was feeling stressed out by meetings and work. So after an hour I finally went looking for my stuff. I traced my steps back, went to all the front desks on the hill (except Rieber, I just called them), and still came up empty handed.
I accepted defeat and went and got a new room key ($5 charge). I talked in the office, ambled around a bit, and finally returned to my room. Lo and Behold there's a note on my door from one of my residents that reads "Hey Erl, I have your key. -Irene" She's a wonderful girl and I am grateful for her presence on the floor (not just for reuniting me with my stuff). It turns out that her homie down in Dogwood picked up my Bruincard with the rest of my crap, facebooked me, saw that one of my "friends" was his friend, called her up to let her know he had my stuff, then proceeded to walk up to Hedrick to drop it off for me. Now if that isn't kind, you can just shoot me, well really you, in the foot.
It just impresses me that he would go through all that trouble to get me my stuff back. I know that whenever I find stuff, even money in a wallet, I'll turn it in. But that's me. While on my quest for my lost possessions, I fully expected to come up with nothing because I thought that whoever picked up my cardholder would look for money then throw the stuff away once they found none. I guess my faith and trust in people in general was really low. I love the fact that someone proved me wrong (for once) and it has totally made my night.
After I thanked Irene profusely and offered to buy her and her friend cookies and sweets, I decided to blog the event. The whole thing makes me think about this point system that Rajima and Mike seem to apply to life. If you do something good, you get points for later use when you do something bad or stupid. This past week I did pick up a room key and turned it in to the front desk, I also found a Hedrick resident's Bruincard and gave it to her RA so she could get it back, and I swiped in two other residents into the dining hall because their cards weren't working. The points I received from those good deeds were returned to me, in what I feel is ten fold. Irene and her friend saved me $35 ($20 for the Bruincard and $15 for the fitness pass), a keepsake all the way back from before first year (the orientation card holder), and my faith in the goodness of people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment