Friday, April 08, 2005

Good Eyebrows

Today I took two good friends to the Westwood Beauty shop called Vinita's. I have been a patron of this Vinita's businesses for over 4 years now. She has two shops, one in Cerritos and one here right in our own Westwood Village. At Vinita's, they do facials, waxing, hair color and cut, and most importantly a practice called THREADING. Threading is a method of hair removal that involves thread and pulling. Basically the practitioners of this Indian art wind two pieces of thread together and use the twisted section of threads to catch and pull out hair. It sounds confusing. It really isn't if you see it in person it's actually quite easy to understand. Here's a site that explains it better: www.hairfacts.com/methods/threading.html It also sounds painful. It really actually is. But at the end of the experience you come up looking like a superstar. Or at least a person with a good set of eyebrows.

Since I was 13 years old, I have somehow shaped, cleaned, arched, or simply done my eyebrows. My cousin first took me to get them waxed for my eighth grade graduation and I've been obsessed ever since. It is familial conditioning. Not one woman in my family has bunk eyebrows. We all do them or get them done up nice as our eyebrows will allow. My sister, cousins, and I will make fun of people with unfortunate brows, going so far as to tell them about Vinita's and how they need to see a woman about some thread.

For the most part I don't like to think of myself as a girly girl. I like to play with makeup, but it isn't something I commit to everyday. I get pedicures and manicures, but often times I go just so I get the massage that comes with them and to spend time with the friends I go with. I know I'm still a bum, with days of occasional cuteness. My pants usually aren't clean. I don't take showers after I work out sometimes (This is usually when I exercise at night and I'm too tired to do anything else). I am not a straight up tomboy, but I'm not a uber-feminine woman either. I'm in the middle, as most women are.

My eyebrows are a different story. I notice everything about them. I see their asymmetry. I see the hair growing out of place. I see the budding hair coming out of it's folicle. I notice other people's eyebrows. I see how mine often can't compare or how they ought to fix them. My eyebrows, by far, are not the best they can be or the nicest I've ever seen. And it kills me. I want perfect eyebrows. They are the one thing on your face that you can change without surgery that really affects your appearance. They frame the eyes, giving the appearence of a more open or furrowed face. Good eyebrows give you confidence, this goes for the boys too.

The moral of the story is:
1. Go to Vinita's (located on Westwood a block south of Wilshire, 1271 Westwood Blvd).
2. Get your eyebrows threaded (it takes 10 minutes max).
3. Pay $7.99 (it really just is $7.99).
4. Make sure to give your threading lady my name: Erlynne Ballo as your referrer (I get my eyebrows done for free every time I send or bring in three people).

So please, feed my addiction/obsession and at least try it once. Thank you and have a good day.

No comments: