Saturday, April 15, 2006

Why ORL can kiss my ass

Being a Resident Assistant for the Office of Residential Life at UCLA can blow sometimes. Residents, duty, programs, boards, yeah I signed up for all that. And most of the time I even like it (the residents at least). But all the other superfluous bullshit they make us do can really piss me off. The elders in ORL tell me, "You are a student first and RA second." Yes I am. Then why do you take away so much of my time that can be devoted to reading or making a program. Take for instance the "Annual Case Study Competition." Basically me and 4 or 5 other RAs are stuck making a fucking presentation about how to deal with problems. I have shit to do... like trying to graduate.

I understand that the event is meaningful and helps people grow, but I have to read over 400 pages by tomorrow, get at least 6 pages of field notes written, and still make it to Easter mass with my family. Yeah I don't budget my time very well, but I'm still mad that I am one of the only RAs on a staff of a baa-jill-illon to roped into for this crap.

Insights from an RA to help us with the presentation:
"Remember, style over content. That's the ORL way."

Moral of the blog: Don't be a team player. Be a bench warmer. And if you do get talked into being a team player, take drugs (uppers preferably).

No comments: