Sunday, April 02, 2006

Desserts and Madness

So Veronica, Rajima, Sara, Lizzy, Sherrie and I went out for dessert tonight after a dinner in the dining halls. The bakery/restaurant Elyees on the corner of Kinross and Gayley has excellent brunch as well as dessert selections by the way. Each one of us got something different, yet all were very delectable. I highly recommend the fruit tart. So after gushing about how good all the dessert was for a good long while, we got into a conversation about our futures. It started out with the question: So who do you think is gonna get married first? In the spirit of March Madness and UCLA's foray into the NCAA finals, we decided to make predictions on who would get married first, second, third, and so on. We now have a bet going to see whose list will end up being most right by the time we are all 45.

I'm gonna go ahead and share my list:
1. Veronica
2. Sherrie
3. Sara
4. Rajima
5. Lizzy
6. Erl

Yeah that's right, I put myself last. I'm not even gonna try to avoid marriage to win the money, I just really think that's how it's all gonna work out. Vero is of course first, because frankly I think that someone would ask her first before any of the rest of us got asked. Sherrie I picked based on the fact that she's really Catholic. As a Catholic myself, I have insider information that we have a plan to get married young and populate the earth with our offspring. Sherrie is a good Catholic. I will discuss later why Lizzy and I aren't. Sara will be third because she is going to find someone during med school (who is probably in law school), but will wait until after to get hitched. Rajima is next. She's gonna get married in a spontaneous fashion. Totally out of the blue she's gonna get with her lover's best friend. Lizzy will resist a committed relationship for a long time, but she eventually gives in. According to everyone at the table, I am most likely to live with someone for a very long time there by obtaining common law marriage status before I ever get married in the regular way.

There is a lot of discord concerning who would be married last. Rajima, Lizzy, and even Sara for a bit wanted to claim that they would be last. Lizzy said that she wouldn't ever actually. That's why Lizzy isn't a traditional Catholic populator. She still wants 5 kids though. She's gonna get disowned in her future. I just don't want to get married young, so I'm not a good Catholic. There are some other reasons too, but they have nothing to do with marriage. Rajima said that she would never settle for anything less than complete fulfilledness. That's why she thinks she'll marry last. I think she would get married to spice up a drab weekend. That's why she's before Lizzy.

As as anyone who's heard THE ARISTOCRATS joke knows, it's the journey not the punch line that matters. Here are a few quips from our ventures into gypsy-prediction land that led up to my final line up (Warning quotes are actually paraphrased):

"You can't keep using that relationship against me. He's gay now. I turned someone GAY!"

"You're gonna have an affair on a ranchero."
"Isn't that kinda like a threesome."
[ranchero = cowboy]

"Oh ranch-o, like homestead-o."
[rancho = ranch/ farm]

"You're gonna marry a guy that's like very white power..."

"You're first child is gonna be an cocky bastard."

"I see you moving back to the home country and marrying someone who doesn't speak English."

"You're first child is gonna be a genius."
"What are the other ones gonna be? Village idiots?"

"Your marital problems are gonna start in the bedroom."

"You're gonna marry a gang member. No a dot-com failure."

"Oh yeah I like Latino boys."

"You're gonna be too busy to be happy."

"Yeah. I can see myself not marrying the love of my life but still being friends with him."

"Can't I get the talented surfer guy?"
"No. Dot-com loser. You have an affair with the surfer while you're with the gang member."

"I see you living somewhere very dusty."
"Yeah, cuz that's where all us Mexicans belong."

"I don't want a fucking ice sculpture at my wedding."
"Well your mother-in-law will demand it."

"Your gonna write romance novels about the kind of sex life that you really wanted and your husband's gonna find it and then your relationship will be rekindled. Your pseudonym will be Eliza Thatcher."
"I like the last name Thatcher."
"Like freaking Margaret Thatcher!?"

"You're gonna have 7 kids. Four planned, 3 accidents... out of wed-lock."

There were a bunch more. My apologies for not taking notes.

Moral of the Blog: Bets are better with dessert. Madness is always appropriate.

No comments: