Monday, May 09, 2005

Home for Mother's Day

I went home for Mother's Day. Very, very nice. I haven't been home in a long while and I was starting to forget how entertaining my family could be. I haven't yet blogged about my Auntie Linda, or as I call her "Mommy Linda." My mom is "Mama" so I'm not confused or anything, my family just has a convoluted system for terms of love and respect .

Mommy Linda is a singular type of lady. She smokes, cusses at young children, tells you look ugly (fat, old, tired, etc.), commands you to never get married or knocked up, and loves you as much as your own mother would. She is brutal honesty mixed with a Filipino accent and humor that has you rolling for days. Some of her old antics include shouting, "Don't do it! Don't say 'yes'!" at my cousin Marlo who just happened to be getting proposed to next to the Christmas tree in front of the entire family and naming "money... oh no, God then money" as the most important things in the world.

This past Sunday was much of the same. I was driving my mom, dad, sister, brother, and two Aunts (Mommy Linda and her sister Auntie Elie) home from church. I don't want to type all the things said in the car. It just loses it's magic in writing. But topics included incontinence, marriage (or why no one in our family should ever get married), my sister being "hot shit" because her job involves travel and getting everything paid for, and why I just might amount to little more than a beggar because I'm not going into nursing.

No comments: