Thursday, December 06, 2007

It doesn't feel like Christmas

It just feels cold. I don't know if it's because we haven't put lights up or because I don't really go to church anymore, but it just hasn't been feeling like the holidays. In years past there was just always just so much Christmas/Hanukkah (West Hollywood which is pretty Russian Jewish heavy and I don't know anyone who actually celebrates Kwanza) spirit going around that I couldn't help ending nearly every conversation with an annoyingly chirpy "Happy Holidays!"

There are certain signals that usually trigger the Elf in Erl to come bounding out, but they haven't been working this year. Christmas songs on the radio, twinkly lights everywhere I go, the priest's purple outfits for Advent mass, non-stop commercials about holiday shopping... All that jazz and nothing, not a single sprig of holiday festiveness. This worries me a bit. We're almost a week into December now and I still forget that my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ's birthday is coming up. I know I'm not a very good Catholic at all but really come on, who forgets Christmas? A cold hearted wench, who has an evil inside her that's who. (When I was in New York with Lizzy, we saw a palm reader who told me there is living evil inside me. She told Lizzy that someone cursed her at birth. I still don't know who has it worse.) Next thing I know, Santa is gonna be dumping bags of Match Light Instant Charcoal on me from the sky.

Maybe I just need to start huffing bags full of pine needles or something. Anything to get that Holiday Spirit going, right? Ooh I know what'll fix this. Luke and Yeesh: Please escort me into Disneyland NOW! There's nothing like artificial snow fall and a princess castle covered in icicle lights to jump start the merry in me. And plus I had a churro today and it was nothing like the Disneyland churros.

No comments: