Thursday, April 19, 2007

there's no shame in aging, just shame in ugly

I saw that quote or something like it listed in someone's profile. And I have to say that for the most part it's true. Why should a person be ashamed of what his or her age is when he or she still look bangin'? Hell, I'd be proud to tell someone my age if they thought I looked significantly younger than I actually am.

So this is what I do at work. Once I'm all done with patient data entry, filing, and random task completion, I go onto facebook, myspace, or some other random time filler/killer website until I get to leave. I read people's quotes and think on what they mean to me and the rest of humanity. I contemplate highly esoteric thoughts like, "Yeah. Ain't no shame in age, just ugly." I need to get back into school. Or at least I need to start reading more scholarly publications. All we have around the office and nurse's station are a bunch of celeb gossip magazines. And while I find the latest Britney and Lindsay scandals highly entertaining, I can feel myself getting stupider... and boringer (I'd just like to say that I know that "boringer" isn't an actual word. This isn't an example of my new found stupidity, but real life examples to come in this post.)

Two points in this blog. Firstly, I am stupider than I used to be. And B) I am more boring as well. Last things first. Bore. It's what I've become. It's not drastic or anything. I still laugh and crack jokes, it's just that I don't do it as often. I want to attribute this to the new circumstances I am in: Living at home and working with old people. I still get to have fun with family, praise the lord for my cousins and sister, but it isn't anything like living at school and being around 10 million of my peers. With so many things going on and so many people doing god knows what, there was always something I could laugh at and comment on and do myself. I am now situationally boring. People ask me, "So what have you been up to?" and you know how I answer? Not with a super fun story about riding in supermarket cart down Pico or getting lost in some random part of LA in search of a show or coffee or some friends who got their own asses lost. I say, "Oh I'm just working." BOO! My job isn't even interesting. Blah.

And now for how I'm losing brain cells (and not even in the fun through intoxication way). I know I'm getting dumber. Last night I was at dinner with friends and the smart ones at the table (i.e. everyone but me) were doing something with quadratic equations. Solving it or factoring it or proving it, whatever. See I didn't understand what was going on. I just watched the bus boy (who was ugly and had ugly hair by the way) vainly check himself out in the big mirror on the wall before he got down to cleaning a table. I'm insipid. And just to show you how "insipid" I actually am, I googled the word that this is the definition that came up as the result :
  1. Lacking flavor or zest; not tasty.
  2. Lacking qualities that excite, stimulate, or interest; dull.
So folks this just shows you that I can't even make fun of myself without being dumb. I used the word insipid, which means boring, to say that I'm dumb. That's just great. I can't use words correctly and I couldn't buckle down for 3 minutes to go over a math thingy. No I had to make fun of the dumb Shaggy (from Scooby-Do) look-a-like in my head because this is all my human mind is now capable of.

No comments: