Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Some thoughts on Gender, Procrastination, and Being too Self Confident

As I begin writing I realize that is is 2:42 on Tuesday morning and I am no farther along with my paper than I was two hours ago. It's on gender and the socialization of children to think along the lines of gender difference. The best line so far out of this paper is my description of what babies actually are and what they do: These small androgenous human blobs challenge this society's gender binary. Basically what I'm trying to convey in this soon to be reconstructed sentence is that since people can't really tell girl babies apart from boy babies without seeing the their privates, babies like cross dressers and Annie Lennox blur the gender differences that we see in older brats and boring grown ups.

Moving on to topics two and three: I procrastinate because I have this overarching confidence that I will get this paper done and done well. I put things off, because I know at the 23rd hour I will eventually buckle down and finish my work. One day I will pay the price for my academic bravado. I probably already have. I've received my share of not so stellar grades. Lord knows late nights and stress have etched themselves onto my aging face. It really is a sickness, this delusion that waiting until the last possible moment to get to work on 30% percent of my course grade will still come out okay. It should be a medicalized disease, with supporting literature in a journal somewhere. Actually no. I'm just lazy. Back to writing. 16 minutes wasted.

No comments: